The medical examiner has determined carbon monoxide poisoning caused the deaths of seven members of a Moorhead family whose bodies were found in their home last weekend.  One potential source of the deadly gas was the furnace, although Police Chief Shannon Monroe says it appeared to be working properly:

“The other possible source of the carbon monoxide is the vehicle, which is a Kia van that was parked in the garage.  It was reported by family members to have some mechanical issues related to the battery.”

Monroe says a qualified lab is determining whether hydrogen cyanide was present, which would indicate if the C-O originated from motor vehicle exhaust.  The family moved to Moorhead about seven years ago, friends say to escape the turmoil in Honduras.