Second Degree Murder charge brought against Montgomery teen in father's shooting death

by Wendy Wilde KTOE Radio Mankato News

January 8, 2014

A charge of Murder in the Second Degree was brought in Le Sueur County Criminal Court against 18-year old Jonas David Nelson of Montgomery for this father's death.

According to the complaint obtained by KTOE News, Nelson called 911 the night his father was shot, and said he needed to report a murder.

Nelson told the dispatch Center that his dad was lying on the living room floor and appeared dead.  

A Sheriff's Department release identified the deceased male as 47-year old Richard Nelson, the father of the suspect.

The criminal complaint goes on to say that Jonas Nelson told investigators that he was upstairs in his bedroom when he heard a noise at about 10:30pm that sounded like a gunshot through a window.  He says he went downstairs and found his father appearing dead on the floor with an apparent gunshot wound to the head.

Jonas Nelson told investigators, later, that his father "can be very harsh when he wants to be," and said that things had been "weird" since he moved back in with his dad in Montgomery a few months ago.

At one point, investigators told Nelson that he needed to tell the truth, and he told them that what he had said was about 90-percent of the truth, and then confessed to killing his father with a rifle from one of the gun cabinets.

Le Sueur County Prosecutor Brent Christian confirms that bail was set at two-million dollars with general conditions.  Jonas Nelson was represented by attorney Richard Lea, a Public Defender. 

A conviction for Murder in the Second Degree carries up to 40 years imprisonment. 

 


Copyright © 2012-2014 KTOE Radio Mankato News, Minnesota Valley Broadcasting Co.
All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Send information to the News Room: Email or call 507-387-NEWS

GREATER MANKATO NEWS

Dustin Wilmes

Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm; Saturday 12pm-6pm; Sunday 6am-12pm

The request from Minnesota Security Hospital is for $10.4 million dollars.
Nicole Weisenburger surprised even Pat Sajak when she guessed the winning word with only three letters turned.
The Oleander Saloon and Whats Up Lounge has had its liquor license suspended for four days after police say there were a number of violations, including workers drinking on the job and an incident tha
A local organization and two Mankato area individuals will be honored Wednesday at the Greater Mankato Rotary Service Above Self Awards.
Gov. Mark Dayton is holding up his focus on education in his new budget as an investment in Minnesota's future.
The City of Mankato has awarded Gosewisch Construction of Mankato the project as the low bidder, pending submission of bonds and insurance by the company, and final approval by MnDOT.
Dayton unveiled a plan Monday that would resurface or replace 2,200 miles of roadway, repair 330 bridges and boost funding for local infrastructure projects.
Mankato West High School Scarletts Football team is recognized for its division title by City of Mankato with Ambassador Award.
The State Senate on Friday approved disaster funding for 37 Minnesota counties that were hit by widespread flooding last summer.
January is the worst month of the year for carbon monoxide poisonings and deaths according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.