The Blue Earth County Property & Environmental Resources Department is helping keep the holidays ‘green’ this season by offering free recycling of strands of holiday lights and reminding residents how they can reduce waste during times of celebration.
Strands of holiday lights that are no longer working or needed will be collected for recycling at no cost for Blue Earth County residents from January 3rd – 7th, 2022. Collection bins will be available at City Halls throughout the county, including Amboy, Eagle Lake, Good Thunder, Lake Crystal, Madison Lake, Mankato, Mapleton, Pemberton, St. Clair, and Vernon Center. A bin will also be available on the 2nd floor of the Blue Earth County Government Center (410 S 5th Street, Mankato) in front of the Property & Environmental Resources Department. The Holiday Light Recycling Program will ensure that all lights are properly recycled.
The Waste & Recycling Division provides a few tips to remember when disposing of holiday items:
- Ribbons, bows and tinsel cannot be recycled and should be placed in the garbage.
- Broken decorations should be disposed of by placing the items in a box and throwing them in the household trash.
- Remove all tape, flatten, and place your cardboard in your curbside recycling container.
- Check with your city officials about local yard composting options for Christmas trees.
- Styrofoam packaging is not accepted in curbside recycling bins and should be disposed of in the garbage.
- Foil and glitter decorated wrapping paper should be placed in the garbage, but other wrapping papers should have tape and décor removed, crumpled into a ball, and placed into your recycling bin.
Check out the Waste Wizard Tool at www.blueearthcountymn.gov/ww to learn how to properly dispose of your holiday items.
For more tips on recycling around the holidays visit www.blueearthcountymn.gov/RATH or contact Property & Environmental Resources at (507) 304-4251.