Mankato Public Safety officials want you to stay safe and warm this winter by following tips to help prevent fires and injuries from home heating equipment:
- Keep anything that can catch fire three feet from heating equipment.
- Have furnaces and fireplaces serviced annually by a professional.
- Turn off space heaters when asleep or not in room.
- Turn off or put out the fire in a fireplace before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Only burn clean, dry wood in fireplaces.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet from fire places and recreational fires.
Sean Hayes with public safety also says there’s an emphasis on natural gas.
He adds that there should be a reminder to use portable heaters only temporarily.