For health and safety Mankato’s annual Spring clean-up has been postponed. It’s expected to be rescheduled at a later date after stay at home executive order is lifted.
Residents may dispose of yard waste, which includes leaves, grass, brush, tree and shrub waste, prunings and garden waste. Since it’s against the law to throw yard waste in the trash, alternatives are:
Compost at home
Compost at home
Compost is a beneficial soil amendment and can be done at home. One way to do so is leaving grass clippings on lawn.
Bring to Minnesota Paving and Materials (formerly Southern Minnesota Construction) site, 3600 Third Avenue, Mankato (GPS: 57032 231st Lane). There is no cost for Mankato, non-commercial residents who provide photo identification. Woody waste should be separated from compostable materials. The Minnesota Paving and Materials compost site is generally open:
- Summer hours: Beginning Monday through October 31–Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Saturday, 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Winter hours: November 1 through May 1–Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Curbside collection (extra charge)
- Yard waste is picked up each Wednesday by appointment (April through mid-November).
- Yard waste pick-up must be scheduled by contacting West Central Sanitation staff at 1-800-246-7630. Residents will be charged $8 per bag or may purchase the use of a cart for the season at $95. Payment is made when pick-up is scheduled.
- Compostable yard waste bags (boxes will be labeled compostable) must be used. They are available at Cub Foods and some home store, hardware and retail stores and generally where garbage bags are sold. Woody waste must be cut to four-foot lengths, bundled and tied, and placed in a compostable yard waste bag.
Residents may contract directly with West Central Sanitation to use a cart for compost. There will be a fee. For more information, contact West Central Sanitation at 1-800-246-7630.
For more information contact staff at 311 or call 507-387-8600.