Following Governor Walz’s mandate to shelter in place until May 3rd, the City of New Ulm is extending the closure of City Hall, Public Library, Public Utilities, Street Department, Recreation Center, Civic Center, and the New Ulm Community Center. These facilities will tentatively re-open to the public on May 4th, but because this is still an evolving situation, this will be evaluated on an ongoing basis.
City departments are staffed during normal business hours. Our primary focus is to maintain a safe workplace and adopt practices to protect the health of all employees, customers and visitors. To ensure the continuity of business operations while minimizing the threat of spreading COVID-19 in the community, we are putting several safety measures into place. We are cleaning and disinfecting public spaces in City facilities and work areas and encouraging staff to follow best practices to prevent the spread.
City residents are asked to conduct their city business over the phone. Listed are the department’s contact information:
- Administration & Human Resources – 507-359-8233
- Finance/Utility Billing & Data Requests – 507-359-8259
- Engineering – 507-359-8380
- Building Safety & Planning/Zoning – 507-359-8245
- Housing – 507-359-8227
- NUCAT – 507-359-8290
- Public UtilitiesBuilding – 507-233-2110
- Police Department – 507-233.6750 (non-emergency calls)
- Recreation Center, Civic Center and Community Center – 507.359.8344
- Public Library – 507.359.8331
- Public Works – 507.359.8296
- Fire Department – 507.359.8225
- Public Utilities Building – 507.233.2110
- Water Plant – 507.359.8279
- Wastewater Plant – 507.359.8360
- Material Distribution Center – 507.233.2134
While City Hall is closed utility customers will need to use one of the payment methods listed. Several options make it easy to pay utility bills:
- Online at https://www.municipalonlinepayments.com/newulmmn
- By phone at 507-359-8259 with a credit or debit card
- Dropbox located in the parking lot behind City Hall on the median across from the ATM machine behind Citizens Bank
- or by U.S. postal mail:
City of New Ulm
100 North Broadway
New Ulm, MN 56073
Due to the possible financial hardships created by COVID-19 and efforts to maintain community health the City of New Ulm and New Ulm Public Utilities have made the following changes and suggestions. These items will be reevaluated as the situation changes.
- Utility bills will continue to be processed and due as normally scheduled.
- Commercial or residential customers of the New Ulm Public Utilities will not be disconnected or penalized for nonpayment through June 30, 2020.
- Partial payments will be accepted using any of our approved payment methods.
- After June 30, 2020 normal shut off procedures will be reinstated. Arrangements can be made with New Ulm Public Utilities to pay balances in full according to our regulations.
Until May 3rd, while the shelter-in-place order is in effect we recommend resident do not:
- Play sports that are not conducive to social distancing standards
- Use playground equipment at parks
- Have garage or rummage sales
City of New Ulm COVID-19 updates and State health websites are being posted online at www.newulmmn.gov.
Chris Dalton, City Manager