The Madelia Fire Department is warning residents to check their carbon monoxide detectors after a close call. Through a post on Facebook, the department says they responded to an alarm in the southeast part of town.

Upon arrival, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide levels were detected.

Thankfully, the homeowners had a detector to alert them.

It was learned that the cause was a combination of a faulty damper, an animal carcass in the chimney and a hole in the bottom of the chimney that led carbon monoxide to leak into the home.

If you suspect carbon monoxide, call 911.