Governor Tim Walz authorizes the use of funds from the state Disaster Assistance Contingency Account to assist southern Minnesota counties in their efforts to recover from severe storm damage incurred this past summer.

A damage assessment by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety’s Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management showed that the storm damage caused by strong winds and flooding in southern Minnesota warrants the use of the state disaster funds. The damage occurred July 16 – 20, 2019 in Blue Earth, Cottonwood, Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Houston, Le Sueur, Wabasha, and Winona counties.

 The state will cover 75 percent of the eligible costs from the Disaster Assistance Contingency Account, with local governments covering the remaining 25 percent.