Although weather determines the schedule, leaf pick-up generally begins when the majority of leaves are on the ground and runs for approximately four weeks (for budgeting purposes). This year’s leaf vacuuming is tentatively scheduled for Monday, October 28 through Friday, November 22.
Leaves are vacuumed on the day after garbage pick-up. Simply place leaves in the street in wind rows along curb (no piles). It’s important to keep sticks and branches out of the leaves because they may break the leaf vacuum machine, which can slow down the process. Residents having a home on a corner lot are asked to pull leaves from the street corner because the leaf vacuum machine turns too wide to pick up leaves if they’re left on the corner.
Leaf vacuuming, is an added-value utility service. The leaf vacuum removes leaves and then chops and compacts them in a self-contained mechanism. The chopped, compacted leaves are then recycled as mulch. A goal is to schedule leaf pick-up during the annual “Rake the Town,” sponsored by VINE, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, November 9.
Where to dispose of yard waste at no cost
Compost may be brought to Minnesota Paving and Materials site (formerly Southern Minnesota Compost), 3600 Third Avenue (GPS: 57032 231st Lane). There is no cost for Mankato, non-commercial residents who provide photo identification. Woody waste should be separated from compostable materials.
Minnesota Paving and Materials compost site is generally open:
- Through October 31–Monday through Friday: 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Saturday, 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- November 1 through March 31–Monday through Friday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Curbside collection at an extra charge is also an option:
- Yard waste is picked up each Wednesday by appointment (through mid-November).
- Yard waste pick-up must be scheduled by contacting West Central Sanitation staff at 800-246-7630. The cost is $8 per bag. Payment is made when pick-up is scheduled.
- Use compostable yard waste bags which are available generally where garbage bags are sold, including Cub Foods in Mankato and some home store, hardware and retail stores. Woody waste must be cut to four-foot lengths, bundled and tied, and placed in a compostable yard waste bag.
- Residents may contract directly with West Central Sanitation to use a cart for compost. For more information about the fee and service, contact West Central Sanitation at 800-246-7630.
For questions or more information contact staff at 311 or 507-387-8600.