The 2019 Great Minnesota Get-Together begins just two weeks from today. This year’s 12 days of fun feature a variety of discounts, special deal days and money-saving tools.
Pre-fair discount admission tickets are $12 (a $3 discount off regular adult admission price and a $1 discount off the regular seniors and kids admission prices) and are valid any one day of the fair for any age. Also prior to the fair, Mighty Midway and Kidway ride & game tickets are $15 for a sheet of 25 (a $10 savings).
Discount State Fair admission tickets, discount Mighty Midway and Kidway (sponsored by DISH) ride & game tickets, and Blue Ribbon Bargain Books (sponsored by Minnesota Lottery) are available through Aug. 21 at the State Fairgrounds Ticket Office off Como Avenue (Loop Gate #9), participating Cub locations and numerous locations in greater Minnesota and Hudson, Wis. (while supplies last) and Minneapolis Visitor Information. Discount tickets may also be purchased online at mnstatefair.org until 9 p.m. Aug. 21.
During the fair, the regular admission price is $15 for adults (13-64); $13 for seniors (65+); and $13 for kids (5-12). Children 4 and under are always admitted free. Mighty Midway and Kidway tickets purchased at the fair are $1 per ticket, $25 per sheet of 30 tickets or $40 per sheet of 54 tickets. Throughout the fair, Blue Ribbon Bargain Books are $5 and available at State FairWear Gift Shops and Bargain Book & State Fair Poster Carts.
Special Deal Days
The State Fair kicks off with savings on Thrifty Thursday, Aug. 22. Discounted admission is $13 for adults (13-64) and $10 for seniors (65+) and kids (5-12) when purchased at the gate.
Monday, Aug. 26 is Seniors & Kids Day. Seniors (65+) and kids (5-12) are admitted for $10 when tickets are purchased at the gate.
Military Appreciation Day is Tuesday, Aug. 27, when active military and their families, as well as retired and veteran military and their spouses, are admitted for $10 when they purchase admission at the gate with documentation of U.S. military service.
Wednesday, Aug. 28 is Read & Ride Day. Guests presenting valid public library cards when purchasing admission at the gate are admitted for the following discounted prices: Adults (13-64) $13; seniors (65+) $10; and kids (5-12) $10. (One discount per card)
Seniors Day is Thursday, Aug. 29. Seniors (65+) are admitted for $10 when purchasing tickets at the gate.
Labor Day, Sept. 2, is Kids & Last Chance Day when kids (5-12) are admitted for $10 when purchasing tickets at the gate.
In addition, many vendors feature special day deals for all State Fair guests on Thrifty Thursday, Aug. 22; Seniors & Kids Day, Aug. 26; Military Appreciation Day, Aug. 27; Seniors Day, Aug. 29; and Kids & Last Chance Day, Sept. 2. Participating vendors will display a special day deal sign and are listed in the Deals, Drawings & Giveaways Guide (sponsored by Minnesota Rusco) available at all information booths and at mnstatefair.org. Select vendors also feature closeout prices on Kids & Last Chance Day, Sept. 2.
More Fun for Less at Mighty Midway & Kidway
Specials are offered every weekday on rides and games at Mighty Midway and Kidway (sponsored by DISH). All-day specials run Thursday, Aug. 22; Monday, Aug. 26; Wednesday, Aug. 28; and Monday, Sept. 2. Early Bird specials are offered until 1 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 23; Tuesday, Aug. 27; Thursday, Aug. 29; and Friday, Aug. 30.
Blue Ribbon Bargain Book
The 2019 Blue Ribbon Bargain Book (sponsored by Minnesota Lottery) offers 150 coupons offering savings of at least 30 percent on food, merchandise and attractions throughout the fairgrounds. Coupons are valid all 12 days of the fair, and a preview of the bargains is available at mnstatefair.org/blue-ribbon-bargain-book/. Bargain Books are $5 and available at the State Fair ticket office, participating Cub locations and at many locations in greater Minnesota and Hudson, Wis. (while supplies last), Minneapolis Visitor Information, and during the fair at State FairWear Gift Shops and Bargain Book & State Fair Poster Carts on the fairgrounds. Books purchased during the fair support the Minnesota State Fair Foundation’s mission to preserve and improve fair buildings, the fairgrounds and educational programs.
Deals, Drawings & Giveaways Guide
Available to view and print now at mnstatefair.org/deals-and-discounts/ or for pick up at any information booth, the Deals, Drawings & Giveaways Guide (sponsored by Minnesota Rusco) details special day deals, items available for $1 or less, freebies and places to sign up and have the chance to win prizes.
Free Entertainment and Attractions
This year’s State Fair features many free attractions and exhibits, including:
- Nightly fireworks spectacular (sponsored by Mazda)
- Live music and entertainment all day and night at stages throughout the fairgrounds, including the Cosgrove Stage (sponsored by Allina Health | Aetna) where community groups perform.
- The daily parade at 2 p.m. featuring the High School Marching Band Competition (sponsored by McDonald’s)
- The Giant Sing Along, which is located north of Lee Avenue between Underwood and Cooper streets
- Music and fun just for kids at Family Fair (sponsored by Coca-Cola and Xcel Energy)
- 3rd Lair SkatePark BMX and skateboarding demos now located at Adventure Park (sponsored by Coca-Cola), east of Mighty Midway
- Dog agility and police K-9 demonstrations outside the Pet Pavilions
- ANGRY BIRDS UNIVERSE: THE EXHIBITION is the exhibit in the North End Event Center giving fair fans of all ages the chance to explore art and science concepts through unique, hands-on interactives.
- FAN Central (sponsored by Xfinity), which features local sports teams and merchandise
- The CHS Miracle of Birth Center, where nearly 200 newborn calves, lambs and piglets will be born during the fair’s 12-day run
- A wide variety of horses that can be seen daily throughout the fair in the Horse Barn but also competing as part of the Minnesota State Fair Horse Show (sponsored by Tractor Supply Co.), free with fair admission.
- The finest needlework, handcrafts, baking and canning that Minnesota has to offer presented in the Creative Activities Building, along with the Cambria Kitchen, home to an area with demonstrations daily
- Fruit, wine, Christmas tree, crop art, flower, vegetable, potato, bee & honey contests along with the Giant Pumpkin Contest (sponsored by North Suburban Eye Specialists) in the Agriculture Horticulture Building (sponsored by Bremer Bank)
- The Grandstand Exhibit Building (sponsored by Sleep Number), which has two levels of can’t-miss shopping at 200 vendors
- The Dairy Building (sponsored by Paddle North), which is home to the famed Princess Kay butter sculptures and malts and sundaes, as well as several vendors selling outdoor gear, home improvement merchandise, wool products and more.
- Family-friendly entertainment at the Family Fair Stage (sponsored by Green Mill) at Baldwin Park
- Thank a Farmer Magic Show (presented by Minnesota Livestock Breeders Association and the Minnesota Farm Bureau Foundation) on the Christensen Farms Stage where children of all ages learn about the role agriculture plays in our daily lives
- The 4-H Poultry Prince & Princess Competition (sponsored by Gold’n Plump), which recognizes young leaders in Minnesota’s poultry industry
- Insight, ideas and products for fair guests planning to update or remodel their homes in the Home Improvement Building (sponsored by LeafFilter)
- The Timberworks Lumberjack and All-Star Stunt Dogs Splash shows at The North Woods (sponsored by Good Health Saunas)
- The Kemps Little Farm Hands agricultural education experience (sponsored by Kemps, Cub, Cargill and Minnesota Corn Growers Association)
- Karaoke and music in The Garden (sponsored by Treasure Island Resort & Casino)
- And much, much more – use the Fair Finder or daily schedules (sponsored by Rally Health) at mnstatefair.org or printed daily schedules available at any information booth for a complete list of activities.
Free Minnesota State Fair App
The free Minnesota State Fair app is the official iPhone and Android smartphone users’ guide to navigating the Great Minnesota Get-Together. It is now available through the App Store and Google Play and features the popular Fair Finder, which is a tool to search for State Fair foods, shops and booths. It also includes daily schedule information.
Free Information & Guest Services
The Great Minnesota Get-Together offers many free services and amenities for guests’ convenience, including:
- Free Park & Ride service from more than 30 Twin Cities metro locations
- App-based ride services, such as Lyft & Uber, which have two designated drop-off and pick-up areas (sponsored by Lyft) for getting to and from the fair
- Free trolley rides on the north end of the fairgrounds. In addition, a free ADA-accessible trolley run along Randall Avenue with stops at Buford Avenue and Gate #18 at Dan Elmer Way. The trolley runs 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 3 to 9 p.m. daily.
- Information booths stocked with free maps (sponsored by Star Tribune); daily schedules (sponsored by Rally Health); specialty brochures; complimentary sunscreen; Deals, Drawings and Giveaways Guides (sponsored by Minnesota Rusco); free identification wristbands to help reunite lost children and vulnerable adults with their families or guardians; and more.
- First Aid Stations (sponsored by Regions Hospital) located on the east and west ends of the fairgrounds
- A Wi-Fi hotspot at the west Grandstand Plaza (sponsored by DragNFly Wireless)
- The Relax & Recharge Station (sponsored by Humana), which features rocking chairs, a place to charge phones and more, located in Ramberg Music Café (sponsored by Cal Spas)
- Charging stations (sponsored by Device Pitstop) for cell phones at several locations on the fairgrounds
For more information about values, special discount days, bargains and more at the Minnesota State Fair, visit mnstatefair.org.
About the Minnesota State Fair: The Minnesota State Fair is one of the largest and best-attended expositions in the world, attracting more than 2 million visitors annually. Showcasing Minnesota’s finest agriculture, art and industry, the Great Minnesota Get-Together is always 12 Days of Fun Ending Labor Day. Visit mnstatefair.org for more information. The 2019 Minnesota State Fair runs Aug. 22 – Labor Day, Sept. 2.